2021 New Year's Resolutions for Progress
- Bluestone Staff
- January 14, 2021
2020 has given us much to think about, and more importantly, to act on. It was a year that showed us at our best and at our worst: from the front-line workers around the world working tirelessly to save people's lives to the misinformation campaigns to divide us. The cracks in our systems — from healthcare and food to social and economic justice — set off loud sirens for us to not only hear and acknowledge, but also for us to act on. What does that mean for you? Are you asking what you can do to make a difference now? The good news is that your daily choices matter and when you make them with intention you impact family, community and planetary health.
At Bluestone Life, we see food and finance as two powerful levers we can utilize daily. We all eat and have financial transactions, from drinking your morning coffee to paying a bill to using your credit card. Your resolutions for change can start simply and build over time. Here are few at the intersection of food and finance.
Food is medicine...what are you taking?
- Understand where your food comes from, and purchase as much locally grown, organic food as you can.
- Get to know a farmer and research Community Supported Agriculture in your area. You can also check out and support the Organic Farmers Association.
- If you’re in a city, participate in community gardens and local food movements.
- Support organizations like the Rodale Institute, pioneers in regenerative agriculture, that are helping improve our soil health which improves our overall health as a nation.
- Get involved in the local supply chains that feed our children in schools. Support organizations like the Chef Ann Foundation.
Vote with your wallet...who are you buying from and what are you supporting?
- Purchase your goods and services from 1% for the Planet member companies, and Certified B Corps. Over 3,700 companies strong, Certified B Corporations are a new kind of business that balance purpose and profit. They are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment. This is a community of leaders, driving a global movement of people using business as a force for good, and we’re proud to be part of it.
Understand your financial relationships...what are your dollars supporting?
- Your bank account matters. Is your bank supporting investments that are not aligned with your values? Choose a bank that is a B Corp, part of The Global Alliance for Banking on Values or socially responsible credit union that is working in their local community to deliver sustainable economic, social, and environmental value.
- Understand the impact of Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI) and where they are in your community.
- Your life insurance protects assets like a new home, and other liabilities such as student loans. Your Bluestone policy does even more by supporting nonprofits working to make your community and our planet better.
- Choose a fee-only financial advisor that has experience in Impact Investing, is part of the B Corp or 1% for the planet community, and can show you how your personal investments can have a positive social and environmental impact.
You are a changemaker with every decision you make. Make your choices count even more this year.
Like hearing about Practical Activists?
We’ll share their stories with you monthly. (No email overload… we promise!)